April 9, 2013

H817 Activity 8: An OER course


H817 Activity 8













For this activity we were asked to
"constructing a course in digital skills for an identified group of learners (e.g. undergraduates, new employees, teachers, mature learners, military personnel, etc.). It is a short, online course aimed at providing these learners with a set of resources for developing ‘digital skills’. It runs for five weeks, with a different subject each week, accounting for about six hours study per week."

WRITING AND READING MUSIC (Shown in Glogster)
http://www.glogster.com/wenta/reading-and-writing-music/g-6kv2vhobm3kqu5mq1p7mra0

My Course has the following parameters:
Learner: post-secondary or undergraduate
Length of course: 5 weeks
Study hours per week: this may be more than 6 hours as I did not look into great detail in each course. Week 2 and 3 are more post graduate level and more extensive. I selected different courses as an example of the OERs available, rather than the time frame to complete each one.
Digital Skill: This is included in week 5 but found that a purely "digital skill" was a bit restrictive for this activity. Took a bit of MOOC-license here and expanded this.
Suggested Repositories:
Discusion: I did change what I wanted to teach! I was blown away by the amount of material that was available. I initially started off with Computer Basics but did not find the basic material that I was looking for. Only much more complicated material about computer programming. However the wealth of material around learning music, writing music, publishing music was amazing and I've got a whole list of bookmarks to check out! I definitely think that OERs are suitable for this subject and there is a lot of different angles that can be taken.