I'm in-between tides

Growing up
I visited the beach
more as a visitor
rather than resident
as a break from the cow yard
and chook egg chores

I'm in-between tides
waves shaping the coastline

Early career
was the time for the city
a beach awash with possibilities 
lost in a concrete jungle
I wandered until dizzy
the external clatter so loud
I moved on before I shattered

I'm in-between tides
I dared to look beyond the horizon

Travelling East over waters
tropical sea waters
language shaping all interactions
learning was breathing
I followed the tides
with paddle and boat

I'm in-between tides

Marriage was a promise
to another landscape
a desire for a witness
daily, intimate and close
no telling of ecological change
or what bush fires would reveal

I'm in-between tides
all footprints covered

Motherhood
the dissolution of self
to create another
then the revealing of new scenery
the (re)discovery of self
and the new being

I'm in-between tide marks
On a stony beach

Red desert offerings
an oasis available
lives adjusted to a new pace 
strange yet familiar
my scarcity is nothing
 
I'm in-between tides
no timetable could show

Separation is a journey
into new territorial maps
I hold my ground 
providing a rock 
for my child
school and self-discovery

I'm in-between tides
thresholds announcing exits

Today is a dawn of a new journey
journeys start at dawn
shifting sands are halted
water scraping over bleached coral
the tide turning seaweed
into miniature movable artworks

I'm in-between tides
salted and laid in brine

Now the turning tides 
mirror the stars on black seas
relentless waves wiping seagull prints
as the sound of the sunrise
silently ebbs away night 
shells emptied of living host
shed a last watery gasp

I'm in-between tides

Comments