I wish I had your winning formula
The ability to block the sunlight with one hand
When it's to bright for the morning, too much for the day
We can't control the sun or the clouds that soon gather
We can't control the rain that falls on far horizon
A scrape of grey by the master painter
Appearing and then dispersing, we know those hills will be green
I can't see those hills defined by the skyline
Etched with tussocky shrubs and rocks
I can't see the paths that lead that high
Or the small paths worn by padded paws
I can't see the waterfalls running under tall grasses
Or the rock collections that disturb the flows
I can't see over the next rise or range
It's hidden from me here on my small slice
I see the river drying up, slimey pools darken
Slowly diminishing in size until birds abandon them
I know the future rains will come
It might be in the next generation, a discovery, a climate change
A few more numbers to write on the wall
The trees stand witness to the current horror
Yet they don't call it that
With charcoal spines and naked roots
They drink in broad daylight, not ashamed
Hollows carved by bugs, shaped by wind
These holes are framed with jagged edges
Ripped out limbs gone cold, black scars
Revealing cambium, galahs feast on raw hide
There is no shame in the silhouette
Lit faintly by the new moon, red heart no longer
The canopy sleeps until the earth tilts again
Is there no weariness in the tree?
Whose problem will it be when the river roars again
Soaking dead root systems, loosening compacted soil
What was baked by the sun, porcelain statements
Becomes a miry pit, a stinking mess of moldy grass heads
Contrast with the fresh shoots, found seeds defying logic
Once proud limbs, a bird's chorus stage
Covered in Ironbark, untouched by time
Falls, carried by waters too strong, downstream
Whose problem is it now?
Until one that is stronger, perhaps younger
Halts the debris, breaking the dead boughs
Violent structures breaking society rules
Root systems resilient, stretched and nutrient rich
Holding a new collection of wood, not belonging but making,
Making new dams for waters to gouge deeper routes
Divers maps too vast for one eye to see.
Comments
Post a Comment