MOOCing with mantras.

I've started the week 4 of the Connected Learning MOOC with a mantra (very zen)....



Cr8

The Mickey Mouse Systems Guide - See the post here for details.

Reciproc8 - 1/3

1. In response to Simon Ensors post "Piles of Stuff" I wrote this comment/poem on his blog.

Piles of stuff are always part of a system. 
System thinking helps us solve problems. 
Piles of stuff can be used to solve problems. 
Piles will no longer be piles once a use is found. 
Unless the piles are set on display.
Behind glass. Utilitarian become precious.
To represent the fear of powerful systems.
An overreaction to a ridiculous problem.
We continue to create our own piles of stuff. 
Do we see ourselves reflected in these collections?
We are, after all, only a pile of bones in a skin bag.
A complex system nonetheless.
Connected. Interwoven. Set apart. Yet joined.
Hold my hand. We will traverse the solar system.
Like a game. We call it life.

Reciproc8 - 2/3

In response to this post from Tania Sheko I wrote this response:
"People are complex"
A very powerful post, thanks.
What is remarkable about your post is the detail of your memory.
This always fascinates me but I think it also explains the richness and diversity
of some of your other work that I have read (only recently). Richness in writing doesn't just have to do with memory but also the ability to incorporate detail and experiences and stories together.
I'm also thinking about memory loss and brain loss.
I think the story of Christine Bryden is amazing http://www.christinebryden.com/christine-now/
One thing she describes is the difficulty of everyday life when you just can't remember how to do things. I see from her website that she has her 4th book due out this year. A survivor indeed!
However I think that having an explicit, precise memory can also create some baggage that can make life heavy at times. I was touched by the honesty of the teacher you "don't want to write what you remember". This is still a burden.
On the flip side is those that have experienced trauma and their memory is wiped for that particular time. This seems to be a self-preservative streak. I wonder if we always look into our memories for happy things (well, naturally, I'm saying to myself).
When I feel like some light reading (not) I turn to this book in my book shelf "The Anatomy of Memory: An Anthology" http://www.amazon.com/The-Anatomy-Memory-An-Anthology/dp/0195078411.
It's incredible and humbling how much this function of our brain means (or creates meaning) to us. There is a whole section of "Childhood and the Middle Years" and this is where we are pulling our memories for this exercise. It reminds me that awareness of what our memory can produce can look different when recorded (verbal or written) but we need to be gentle with ourselves.
These are just some thoughts that your post has evoked.
(This is my reciproc8 ticket 2/3 for this week)

Reciproc8 3/3 happens here

In response to Terry Elliots self-autopsy up of the Twitter chat for Week 4 of CLMOOC.
http://etalesandstories.tumblr.com/post/124353926550/why-twitterchats-are-annoying-but-i-will-most

What I've learnt: 

Using this mantra to study has made me think more about how I respond and reciprocate to others in connected learning. For me, reciproc8 means focusing on the material that someone else created and really seeing 'it' instead of it all blurring together in one #heap. The items that have depth and something to sink your teeth in are the best. Then there is the x-factor of an item that jerks my emotions or thoughts. Attention to the detail, taking time to take in the content, being honest with our answers and learning more in the process. It does take longer than the fickle "great post" comment but it's worth it.

I've also been thinking about the benefit (or not) of adding a quick like, +, heart or star....all the same thing. That physical action is somehow crucial to my humanness. I need something tactile and it may also mean that I remember that post (even if I can't find it later).

What could it mean to the creator of the work?: who knows? One possible answer is based on how I feel. Oh, they 'liked' it, that means they saw it, they didn't know what to say, they were too busy to read it further but hey, it might have influenced their thinking just a smidgen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

>>>>Simon Ensor coz his stuff makes me think

>>>>Tania Sheko because the way she shares stuff helps me enter her world for a short time

>>>> Terry Elliot for this great graphic (and many more). A simple formula but the results will be as unique as fingerprints. Also for his way of annotating thinking and sharing.

>>>>Maha Bali "I value all the interactions I have there" [online space]
http://blog.mahabali.me/blog/pedagogy/listening-slowly-a-and-social-media/

>>>>CLMOOCers at all levels of the structure

Comments